Redundant town (coal) gas supply pipe

I am sure that what he has told you is correct.

However, the gas regulations still say that any opening of the pipe should be by an RGI and the the pipe, although not in use should still be capped within the property.

Based on the advice given to you there would seem to be litle risk in you opening the pipe.

I cannot advise you to do that though as its contrary to the regulations!

But if you do then at least unscrew the cap first rather than just cutting with an angle grinder!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile for your last post, yep ... the 'boss' engineer gave the same advice about the angle grinder and about recapping. Infact, I had a look at it again today and the vertical tail is screwed into an elbow (in the below floor void) then there's the long horizontal out towards the front door/street. All are threaded so I'll remove the elbow and cap the end of the horizontal in the below stairs void.

Thanks again.

Thanks Agile for your last post, yep ... the 'boss' engineer gave the same advice about the angle grinder and about recapping..........

If that's a representative of the gas suppliers, he is being economical with the truth. It is their service pipe, not yours, and may/may not be connected to their gas mains; they have acquired the gas distribution system, mains and service pipes, from the previous suppliers. They should remove it and do whatever is required to ensure it is safe.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back