Refilling unvented boiler system - please help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have moved into a house which has had the boiler drained, it is an unvented sytem, I need to refill it. I found a blcak valve that when turned lets water in, but filled it partially and stopped it.

I need to know how to refill it safely so that there is not too much pressure and to stop air locks.

Your help and advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
bit more info wouldn't go amiss. unless of course you have one of those white boilers with pipes connected to it.

HI

Need more details to give exact advice but in general when refilling a system
1.all drain points need to be closed
2.electricity off until fully vented/refilled
3.all radiator vents/valves closed to avoid panicking
4.turn on mains water slowly
5.bleed/release air from all radiators,air vents .etc one by one
6.when system is full of water turn on power to the boiler run for few minutes
then turn the boiler off .
7.check all rad vents,drain valves air vents,pump,etc
8.if all ok then turn boiler on :D

Hi thanks for your reply

Sorry I was very vague with information regarding the boiler.

Its a Santon premier plus unvented hot water sytem.

There is a silver tank with a hot water tap on the pipe running out of the top.

There is also a small red tank above that with a pipe running into it housing the pressure gauge. This pipe also has one of those washing machine tap style tap, which when I opened the pressure started to increase.

There is also a small grey tank next to the small red one.

I alos located a black valve that when twisted starts filling water into the tanks.

I hope this enough information, as I do not know much about boilers.

If you could help me refill this system it would be great, By the way the pressure tap that I opened to get the pressure up, does that remain shut once the right pressure has been reached, and what pressure should the sytem be running on?

Thanks again for any help you can offer me

Sponsored Links
With the santon cylinder you just turn a hot tap on then the cold supply to it. Once the hot tap runs without spluttering you have vented it so just turn the hot tap off.

The other filling tap you have will be the heating system filling link. Turn this and increase pressure until the needle on the gauge reads about 1.2. Then go round and bleed all rads, then go back and re-fill to 1.2Bar again and so on.

The pressure will rise from 1.2 cold to around 1.8-2.0 when rads are hot, then drop back to 1.2 when cold.

Check for air in rads again about a week later, or if they feel cold at the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back