regs and roof job

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi please can you tell me if my inlaws have had a decent job done and was it too much? Any way the job was to replace existing projected flat roof garage and hall on front of house ,and to fit mono pitched tiled roof . the roof area was about 15 feet by 6 feet. any way the builder only took up single skin brick walls and fitted monopitched roof tiled but left old flat roof deck under . he did refit guttering and facia job cost £ 3400 was that alot and should the wall have been cavity and insulated .and should the deck have been totally ripped off and insulated? have been insulated ? should building regs been applied for? any way any builder help me with this please ?

Sponsored Links
Suffolk lad, not that easy to accurately comment without seeing the job. However, although a fairly straight forward job BRegs should have been applied for as there is a structural alteration - more weight on existing lintols etc. A quick chat with Mid-suffolk Buidling Control or Ipswich will confirm this.

The wall does not need to be insulated to the garage side as the garage is unheated. The wall to the living side/hall ideally should be cavity to prevent ingress of water/damp. It should be insulated unless the ceiling/existing deck above the hall is insulated. If this is the case the roof void should be ventilated at eaves and at the top to get a cross flow of ventilation. It would have good pratice to take off the old deck but as long as the structure is sound it will not hurt.

It may have needed planning permission as well as BRegs so you could check but may open a can of worms.

Re-cost. Can't really comment as I am surveyor not a builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back