Regs on Landing Corridor Width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am after a bit of help deciphering the regs on 1st floor Landing width. From what i have read so far the minimum width is 900mm with pinch points allowed for radiators etc.

I am planning some stairs for a DIY Loft conversion i am doing and trying to work out the maximum (or minimum as may be the case) width i can get away with for the new stair case. To fit within the dormer cheek the new staircase will have to be packed out from the side wall by about 230mm. Currently the landing is 1350mm wide in total but the corridor/walkway past where the ground floor stairs come up from is 750mm wide, so below the specified 900mm on the regs. It is a victorian terrace so the regs didnt apply when it was built. If i add my new staircase going up to the loft and shunt around the stud wall to the adjacent bedroom to preserve the current 750mm gap at all points would this be fine?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As Paul, there is no minimum width for staircases or landings.
230mm is a lot to pack out for the dormer cheek; how come so much?

As Paul, there is no minimum width for staircases or landings.
230mm is a lot to pack out for the dormer cheek; how come so much?
I've had to come in a fair bit to get enough space between the side of my dormer and the adjoining house to be able to get in the gap to clad it.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you pre-form and clad the dormer cheek and then install it in place?

Pre form the lead and upstand, and design it so that the check slots over it and the cladding conceals the junction.

If a sealing strip is required (aluminium) then that can be fitted within just a small gap by working from the top and bottom of the roof.

Mines quite narrow at the bottom of the stairs, maybe less than 750mm. Building Control had no issue with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back