Regularisation - any help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys.
Micric - being proactive at this stage, am expecting we will have a decision to make as to whether to go down the regularisation route or refuse and hope they take a reduction in selling price but just wanted to know what the likelihood of us having it approved as is or having to do further building works if we went down this route.
tony & noseall, its not even so much the money that's an issue (not that were minted but weve accepted over the asking price anyway so have a bt of room) its the time and the potential building works and subsequent mess and redecorating etc that is worrying me, we don't want to lose the house we want to buy because of this. Think we mustve lived in a cave before then, had heard of planning permission and knew we didn't need that but honeslty didn't realise you needed building regs for internal works, it would have been so much cheaper and less hassle we def would have just got it in the first place :(
Nakajo - not sure if that's a good thing or not, theyre the pics the estate agent took and used to market the property so am guessing they've applied some sort of filter or something to them!

he said part way through the work that we should've got some approval for the work but not to worry, he'd just take some pics to prove how he had done it should we ever need them and that was it

Sponsored Links
Being proactive can create unnecessary worry, has the issue been raised by anyone / if not I would only look into the avenue of solution once the problem exists.
The steel is clearly man enough for the job at such a short span and would appear to only carry a small joist loading and wall above looking at your floor plans, I would be inclined to query how it is carrying the loading from above as it appears to have been installed under the plaster board line for the ceiling.

It seems pretty extraordinary that the builder didn't mention anything!

I wouldn't say that. The builder never mentioned it because he knows it would have caused a delay in getting the job, and also he wouldn't want an inspector sniffing around. Furthermore, the additional cost to the OP (Building regs fees, SEs fees) may have put the OP off, and the builder would then have lost the job. Much easier for them to keep quiet; bottom line as far as some builders are concerned is that honesty doesn't pay.

I find it astonishing that in the age of mobile phones, internet, facebook, twitter, email, having friends, television and access to information just about any time any place that you had never heard of building control regulations.
I wasn't joking when I said that you'd need to have been living in a cave. You can't even sneeze without getting them involved.

PS. The builder did mention it Tony.

PS. The builder did mention it Tony.

Quite right, but the casual way it was put ("I'll just take a few photos") probably suggested to the OP that it was no big deal not applying,
and that it could easily be sorted by sending a few pics if the need arose.

Hi, I wanted to add as I received my regularisation certificate a few weeks ago after a month of HELL.
We moved into our home 8 years ago and are now selling it. My husband and FIL were in the trade, so we just made changes to our home without BI - yes, we now realise how stupid we were.
I checked with our solicitor 2 months before putting on market and she said we should get the certificate for 2 of the 3 works we did. We installed a kitchen extension, knocking through the back wall, we put in an opening between 2 rooms, and we removed a window and put in patio doors. She said our extension was too much for an indemnity insurance. I applied in January and due to my councils dept being utterly incompetent, it took 4 months. They raised 13 issues and I didnt sleep or eat for a week. In the end, we had to pay for a SE - £400, we had to pay for a heat loss engineer - £300, we had to pay for an electrician - £40. We had to visit all the trade stores we bought from to see if they kept invoices from 8 years ago (they didn't). We had to expose the RSJ and we had to install vents to the roof.
You have the advantage that you have very good photos, where as I had none, and therefore, you may not have to expose. Another important point is how long you did this. The SE said that a standard rule is that something has stood for at least 6 years with no sign of movement, it should be OK.
Have you asked your solicitor for their opinion?
Your house looks beautiful btw.

Hi, I wanted to add as I received my regularisation certificate a few weeks ago after a month of HELL.
We moved into our home 8 years ago and are now selling it. My husband and FIL were in the trade, so we just made changes to our home without BI - yes, we now realise how stupid we were.
I checked with our solicitor 2 months before putting on market and she said we should get the certificate for 2 of the 3 works we did. We installed a kitchen extension, knocking through the back wall, we put in an opening between 2 rooms, and we removed a window and put in patio doors. She said our extension was too much for an indemnity insurance. I applied in January and due to my councils dept being utterly incompetent, it took 4 months. They raised 13 issues and I didnt sleep or eat for a week. In the end, we had to pay for a SE - £400, we had to pay for a heat loss engineer - £300, we had to pay for an electrician - £40. We had to visit all the trade stores we bought from to see if they kept invoices from 8 years ago (they didn't). We had to expose the RSJ and we had to install vents to the roof.
You have the advantage that you have very good photos, where as I had none, and therefore, you may not have to expose. Another important point is how long you did this. The SE said that a standard rule is that something has stood for at least 6 years with no sign of movement, it should be OK.
Have you asked your solicitor for their opinion?
Your house looks beautiful btw.
Good post and a good reason to seek BC approval from the outset.

Good post and a good reason to seek BC approval from the outset.
whssign.gif

Wenglish - if your husband and his Dad were in the building trade then they should have known how stupid they were being in not getting Building Regulations approval.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back