regulations for connections in a toilet???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to move 2 junction boxes, they are currently positioned in an old chimmney which is a nightmare if you need to get to them, not to mention risks if the chimney cap leaks!

they provide connections for outside lights, porch lights and a small toilet. easiest position is to move these into the toilet at ceiling level

the junction boxes would be 2.2 meters above the floor and about 1.2 meters directly above the cistern. this is just a small toilet with a small basin in the far corner 2m away. i can find the regulations on lights but not connections.

can anyone tell me what building regs says about this sort of set up, is it allowed? the idea would be to put a box around them if that makes a difference.

thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Do what you want using general regulations and common sense.

There are no special regulations for toilets nor basins.

thanks for the quick reply EFLImpudence, needed to sort this qucik as my sparkys who wired this up's on holiday for 2 weeks and i need it sorting so i can plasterboard the rooms.

reading another thread it comments that juncton boxes must be accessible which this def wouldnt be- to get to it you'd have to remove the kitchen wall units, plaster and half a dozen bricks so doesnt sound right in the first place.

thanks for the quick reply EFLImpudence, needed to sort this qucik as my sparkys who wired this up's on holiday for 2 weeks and i need it sorting so i can plasterboard the rooms.
Another spark on holiday - skiing, I presume.

reading another thread it comments that juncton boxes must be accessible which this def wouldnt be- to get to it you'd have to remove the kitchen wall units, plaster and half a dozen bricks so doesnt sound right in the first place.
That is correct. They need to be accessible for inspection.

You can use 'maintenance free' boxes now but the circuit(s) should be tested before you bury them and spark will need to see them if you want it certified by him.
Google 'maintenance free junction boxes'

Or rewire so that none is needed.

Sponsored Links
skiing? nah, i think this guys more the 2 weeks in benidorm drinking type!

cheers, if theres no restriction on them being in the loo my plan is to rewire them while he's off and he can check them when he gets back, junction boxes will be fully accessible with just 2 cables threaded from the floor above through the chimney to the toilet.

So, it's YOU who leaves all these poor DIYers mid-job to finish off their cabling and making us suspicious of their postings.

¿Donde es el bar?
Its a little sand island off Jost Van D y k e in the British Virgin Islands.
Nearest bar is the Soggy Dollar on JVD itself.
Its called the soggy dollar beause the only way to get there is to swim ashore with your greenbacks in yer trunks. :D

Wish I was n
back there, right now.

Now, what were we really talking about?

You can use 'maintenance free' boxes now but the circuit(s) should be tested before you bury them and spark will need to see them if you want it certified by him.
Google 'maintenance free junction boxes'
Junction boxes in the chimney. ? What do the manufacturers say about that bearing in mind the chimney may be coated with deposits of soot and other combustion products which are likely to produce a corrosive atmosphere years after the last fire in the fireplace. ?

Or rewire so that none is needed.
Definately the best option.

Can't re wire so non are needed unfortunately as we do need a junction box by the looks of it, the chimneys an old one in the kitchen prob from some Old range cooker, not many deposits but again one of concerns.

Would th
ese deposits degrade the pvc sheath?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back