Reinforcing Joist Binders : should BC be involved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm doing that mythical five minute job : loft insulation.

Trouble is I've noticed some of the hangers/binders in my 1960's bungalow are a tad skinny: on a 4.5x4.5m span ceiling (onto supporting walls), the 100x50x4500mm, 400mm centres joists are being hung off just 2 100x50x4500mm binders, centres 1500mm. True, there is one fink type truss, of cut roof construction of 100x50mm members (doubled in areas where the truss webs strut the roof purlins) over the centre of the ceiling, but its base id formed merely by an existing joist.

I am thus contemplating placing a couple of TRADA sized beams over this ceiling, next to the existing binders, bearing directly on supporting, load bearing walls. If you wanted to be generous you could call this "beam storage over supporting walls" :LOL: Of course, my plans go a little beyond this, in that it is my intention to tie these beams (with sufficient packing to bring them above the ceiling joists) to the wall plates and tie them also to the joists they sit above.

So there you have it. You could call it "secure storage of two large beams over supporting walls" if you wanted to ignore my obvious intentions of reinforcing:LOL: . Or you could call it "major structural work", if you were feeling particularly harsh.

The question is, does it require involvement of BC?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back