Reinstall XP, partition "problem"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For several reasons, my computer is, I beleive, due for a re-format and "start again". I have loads of programs on it that I've only used a handful of times and am never likely to use again, and I know that uninstalling them will still leave "odds and ends" around the place. It's also slowed down quite a bit and become a bit unstable, despite my religious spy and ad-ware checking and removal.

Now here's the issue:

I formatted once before and re-installed XP, which all went perfectly apart from one thing. Having removed (or so I thought) all the partitions and set it up again, it worked just lovely, except that now when you turn it on it comes up with a menu asking me which operating system I would like to start - both options are XP and the second one doesn't work or do anything. It's been like this for a while and it's really nothing more than a niggle, but I would like to know what my error was to avoid the potential (I assume) of ending up with 3 options once I've done it again.

Incidentally, when starting with the "normal" first option, no other partition or anything is visible within windows. Is it a "phantom" problem, and can i have instructions please for a completely "clean" install?

Will be using proper licensed XP disk that came with the computer (Dell).

Sponsored Links
only a guess.

I had a similar problem, almost.

i went to reinstall xp, and it asked where i wanted it to go, i realised it could see "c" as not being "empty" so it wanted to install on next available partition (not good)

my solution

take hd out, put it into another pc as a slave (move jumper on back to sl)
get 2nd pc to format each partion in turn.

put hd back into 1st pc (moved jumper back first)

win xp decided it should now go to the "c" partition which is what i wanted.

if you have no 2nd pc ask a friend who has a pc can you stick it in theirs, as theirs will still ead their c drive and boot up, but it will also see your hd as new partitions and let you format them.

good luck and Merry Christmas

How did you remove the partitions?

When you install, Windows asks where you want to install and lists available and used space. At this point, you can delete all the partitions and will (eventually) be left with a single line showing as available free space.

It is likely that you didn't prepare the drive in this manner and have been left with a rogue entry in the boot.ini file.

Have a look at this link, which explains how to edit the boot.ini file and remove the rogue entry. Take a backup first in case you delete the wrong entry.

Igorian said:
Have a look at this link, which explains how to edit the boot.ini file and remove the rogue entry. Take a backup first in case you delete the wrong entry.

Perfick!

Great stuff as ever, Igorian - deleted the 2nd line in that file and rebooted, it went directly into windows without the selection menu!

Still leaves the question of how I cocked it up in the first place, which was a while ago so I must admit I can't remember what I did. What's the best procedure (having backed up everything I need) for erasing the entire HDD cleanly and booting from the XP CD for a new install?

Sponsored Links
Ok, boot from the CD as usual and follow the prompts for a new install of XP. You will get to a point where it displays the current partitions and free space (probably won't be any free space). You should be able to press D to delete the current partition and then L to confirm. If you have more than one partition, you will have to repeat the process for each. Eventually, you will return to the partition screen, but it will show only free space. You then select this as your target for XP and away you go. A little difficult to explain when not sat in front of an XP machine (on a client site all week), but it's reasonably straight forward.

Thanks Igorian, I'll let you know how it goes...

It might be a few weeks because I'm waiting for Bulldog to give me an install date for my new line. In fact, that's one of the reasons I think I need a re-format - I've had so many different ISPs in the last year I'm not sure which network my PC is trying to connect to!

In fact, I have to shamefully admit that having just moved to brighton and having read your account of unsecured networks, I am currently on-line only by "piggy-backing" on someone elses unsecured wireless network (of which there are no less than 4 available from my flat). I know it's wrong, and I'm not going to continue it once bulldog connect me, but at the moment it's my only internet link!

On the day they install my Bulldog line, I will do the XP re-install, then put all my programs and documents back on. This will be all with a wired ADSL router so despite my hypocrisy can anyone see any problems?

Back