Reinstating holes in plyboard floor prior to tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Further to dealing with a leak from a central heating pipe it was necessary to remove the tiles and make some unsightly holes in the 18mm plyboard floor. Would this be a reasonable method of making a decent repair.

1. Cut 2 strips of 6mm plyboard (for each hole) say 125mm x 10mm and fix to underneath using Gripfil etc. This is to provide a base upon which the cut to size plyboard circle will sit.

2. Once the strips are properly set in place position the plyboard circle and apply Gripfil to the gap. Smooth off any excess.

3. Prepare to tile area. This will be a few days later.

Does this sound plausible or is there a better way? Are there better products than Gripfil? Nail & Seal for instance?

Sponsored Links
I would be very much happier cutting out a large rectangular section of the old ply, and putting a new piece down that is properly supported on joists and noggins.

a bodged up patch as you describe is very likely to move, and the tiles will crack.

But surely with a quality grab adhesive there will be no movement? Admittedly I do not use these products regularly but I tried one a while back called Nail & Seal which appeared absolutely rock solid when set. I would expect this to have done the job as specified perfectly well. Is this expecting too much?

Sponsored Links
Fix some battens on the undersides of the holes (say 2" x 1") -using screws -and then fix your patch onto them.
It looks like you have used a hole saw to cut out the holes......have you still got the timber discs that you could reinsert, fix and then fill around the edges?
Don't rely on grip fix stuff to absorb movement - it won't.
John :)

Fix some battens on the undersides of the holes (say 2" x 1") -using screws -and then fix your patch onto them.
It looks like you have used a hole saw to cut out the holes......have you still got the timber discs that you could reinsert, fix and then fill around the edges?
Don't rely on grip fix stuff to absorb movement - it won't.
John :)

No, I do not have the disc cut-outs but as I have some 18mm ply cutting out new discs should not be a problem. But, yes, mechanical fixings to secure some 2 x 1 battens sounds like a better way to provide support. Cheers, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back