Relocating and securing a Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I have a good look through the search facility and cannot find anything that meets my needs.

Just to introduce myself, I am an Englishman living in a 5th floor flat in Moscow, Russia. You might also be interested to know that when you buy a new flat in Moscow, you receive it 'core & shell'. i.e. it is empty and you are responsible for fitting all the electrics, heating, sanitary ware, flooring, plaster...... the whole 9 yards. This results in differing standards of renovation work and as in my case you spend a lot of time correcting the results of bad workers.

I have a bathroom sink that slopes towards the wall catching water that I need to remount and I have a toilet that for some reason is not against the back wall resulting in very little leg room for anyone over 5'. :evil: Plus, despite me tightening the two retaining bolts on a regular basis, it always seems to become loose again within a couple of weeks.

So, I want to try to move the toilet back about 6 inches and secure it. I'm hoping that it is mounted onto the ceramic floor tiles and that they're not cut out around the unit itself. It does look like the toilet sits upon them though.

So, is it a straight forward drill though the ceramic tiles into the concrete floor below and use suitable rawl plugs and bolts to secure the unit into place? And, is it necessary or usual to seal around the base with silicon for effect and stability?

I have a flexible water pipe feed to the flush and a concertina connection between the toilet and the downpipe so I do not need to do any plumbing for the short distance move I propose.

Thanks in advance for any replies. - I will be flushed. ;)

Sponsored Links
Drill the screw holes at an angle, best if you mark the holes and then remove loo while you are drilling.

Silicone will look ok but is not needed IMO

:D

Any Polish plumbers left near you :?: Most seem to be over here :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Moscow-Wolf said:
So, is it a straight forward drill though the ceramic tiles into the concrete floor below and use suitable rawl plugs and bolts to secure the unit into place?
Yes. Although there's a wide variation in size/quality/position/direction of holes pans - in the best circumstances you can actually drill through the pan and push a rawlplug through the hole.

Always use brass screws. If you can find them, fit plastic screw cushions - the kind that take a snap-on plastic cap. If you only get the caps then sit them on the screw head with a dob of silicone sealant.

And, is it necessary or usual to seal around the base with silicon for effect and stability?
Mostly for hygiene reasons, because without being sealed it's inevitable that wee and crud will build up at the edge and underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back