Remeha Avanta Plus 18s - Not shutting off, one LED showing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi was hoping to get some idea as to the problem with our boiler!

It was fitted 18 months ago and has had regular problems ever since.
Boiler is a Remeha Avanta Plus 18s, control panel is Drayton Lifestyle LP722, this is a wired panel, not battery. Hot water cylinder which also had an immersion for back up (obviously immersion is off).
Inspected annually, last done in October, all apparently ok.

There are 3 reoccurring issues.

1)Boiler has both LEDs on. Boiler itself feel hot to the touch.
Control panel is meant to be OFF, both CH and HW lights off, however radiators still going (not residual heat, they are piping hot an hour after they should be off). Only way to stop it is to reset the boiler by turning switch off/on.

2)Boiler has one LED on. Boiler itself feels hot to the touch.
Control panel is meant to be OFF, both CH and HW lights off, however radiators still going (not residual heat, they are piping hot an hour after they should be off). Only way to stop it is to reset the boiler by turning switch off/on.

3)Water is scalding hot, and I mean dangerously scalding hot! Even though thermostat on the immersion tank is turned right down to 40C. This is how it is within days of having a new cylinder thermostat fitted.

We have had engineers out on several occasions, they have replaced the thermostat three times and the control panel twice. Most of the time they get here and everything is normal, so they cant do anything as it is apparently 'working fine'! Frustrating!

Not to mention the fact that when you tell them there was only one light on the boiler and it was still going, they scoff at you and tell you in a very condensing tone that it is impossible, because that shows the boiler is off. (I know that that is what its meant to mean, but I know that it does still keep going!) We have now taken to keeping a running 'diary' of the issues every time they happen.

As a council tenant we kind of have our hands tied as we have to use the engineers they send out, none of them seem prepared to look at the boiler. All they do is replace the control panel or the thermostat, or nothing at all!

So does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be?
It just seems like groundhog day lol :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Where would I find one of those? I havent a clue about parts etc lol
There's a white box with a couple of flip type switches in the airing cupboard, that connects to the cylinder and is also wired into a Honeywell box on the wall.
Sorry for my crap explanation! :rolleyes:

Pics of the plumbing into the cylinder if its of any help?

I cant be sure without testing but at a guess I would say the valve in your first picture is faulty.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply, at least it gives me something to suggest to the engineer when he comes out! :)

The motorized valve would account for fault 1, but not 2 or 3.

I can understand the engineers' incredulity for fault 2: one LED means the boiler is OFF! So how is the LED being bypassed?

Fault 3 suggests that the cylinder stat has been wired incorrectly.

When did these problems first occur?

Did the installers appear to be familiar with the boiler?

My suspicion is that they were not familiar with the boiler and have wired it incorrectly. The correct wiring diagram is below, though I haven't been able to amend it for your room and cylinder stats as I do not know what they are.

Click to enlarge, the right click to save

The 1 or 2 LEDs is not very informative. :eek:

If you press any key you will see a single code or a code followed by a number. What code is displayed when the various faults occur?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back