Removal of internal wall quote please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am having an internal wall removed (loadbearing) to open up the kitchen into the living room. I will be removing the kitchen units, supply the skip and the steel RSJ (8x4) 11ft long. The builder has quoted £750 plus concrete pads to do the work and said that this may increase if he as to put extra foundations in to support the steel.

This sounds a substantial amount of money????. Please advise if I am been riped off or is this good value for the amount of work involved. I am based in Yorkshire if this has a bearing on price.

Many Thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
I'd say that sounds reasonable to me, especially if he's paying the building notice fee and liasing with BCO for sign off.

Sponsored Links
The builder has not mentioned anything about BCO or fee's

Ian the removal of a load bearing wall falls under building regs and as such a building notice application to your Local Authority Building Control Department is required. The building notice for this type of work will be approx £130 (but this may vary from from one authority to another as they are set at a local level). If your builder has included this fee in his quote it leaves him just over £600 to do the work which seems reasonable.

If you're not familiar with this type of work it's in your own interest to ensure Building Control are involved as it will ensure the work is carried out to meet the current regs. Your builder may simply have not told you about the BCO involvement in which case ask him. If he tells you it's not required I would suggest you get a quote from another builder.

Can anyone tell me if a 8x4 RSJ would be adequate to span an 11ft gap, the wall is loadbearing.

Regards

Ian

Can anyone tell me if a 8x4 RSJ would be adequate to span an 11ft gap, the wall is loadbearing.

Regards

Ian

Ian, no one can give you a definitive yes/no answer from the information you've provided. You state that the wall is loadbearing - but we don't know what the 'load' is. A good builder should be able to advise from a visual inspection and spec the RSJ accordingly.

Additionally, the BCO will ensure the RSJ is adequate for the loading and may do this by requesting structural calculations. The BCO will also ensure that the RSJ has the appropriate end-bearing and is firechecked. As stated previously it's in your own interests to get the BCO involved.

I'm paying £1300 for a doorway to be cut into an internal basement wall ...

uhhmm!

But it is load bearing, and is 3 bricks thick plus a layer of breeze block that needs to be removed as well. .. and does have damp issues with 2 vertical full height damp membranes that will need to be connected to tanking around the frame once the hole is cut.

Plus includes plastering and door frame.

Didnt sound too bad to me?

That is for cutting through FOUR layers of brick ..
Lintel/RSJ
Tank sides
Plaster
Door frame

I was very weary of getting joe blog buildier who didnt understand the damp issues with this wall ....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back