Remove back chimney in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on removing my back chimney. I would like to take out the chimney up to the loft. The front chimney will remain and be used.

The image below shows the back chimney in the loft space. The brick pillar shows a support coming from the internal wall in my 2 up 2 down house. The front chimney joins the back chimney just above this. It is fairly standard. The red line shows 1 idea of the place where I would like to take out the chimney.

I have had 3 suggestions to support this: 1) RSJ from front to back wall, 2 )RSJ's from side to side, or 3) gallows brackets. I understand the gallows brackets might not be suitable due to the party wall being only 1 brick wide (I think) and the neighbour's chimney already gone. The RSJ's seem overkill to me since the chimney seems generally well supported.

I wondered if the chimney could be taken out roughly at the red line, maybe using the roof timber or a bracket just on this side to support a lintel. The roof timber appears to be supported by the party wall.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Do a sketch of what you want to do and stick it into Building Control for their approval (which you will need) The sketch you do will show precisely the support you propose to put in together with its bearings.

If you don't know how to detail it, get some-one in that does. It may not need to be a strucural engineer, but at least some-one with the experience to know the solution the Building Control officer will accept. Check the Mercury (Local Paper) as a few advertise in there.

Then get your party wall agreement in place with the adjoining owner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back