Remove ceiling cover coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to reconstruct the ceiling to wall corner through papering and compounding. The ceiling has a textured coat on it that I need to remove. The coat is rendered from some typical ceiling product. How can this coat be removed without damaging the ceiling plasterboard to give me a flat surface? Thanks.

ceiling.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sometimes a steam stripper will help but it is hard work and messy. It is likely that the textured finish was applied because the ceiling was in a poor state. I would probably recommend that the finish is left in place and skimmed.

I only need to flatten near the wall. Skimming would involve the whole ceiling. Would sanding work?

I don't have a steam stripper. I do have a steam generator kettle. I hope that would work when combined with a putty knife.

It might be possible to sand it but will require something like 40 grit paper (to begin with).

Can you explain more clearly how much you need to sand. Do you need it to be totally flat?

Sponsored Links
I just need a flat area to reform the wall/ceiling corner using paper tape and compound. I think 10cm flat ceiling next to the wall should be good enough. Once the the corner is made, I will recreate the ceiling texture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back