Remove Excess Filler From Lathe and Plaster Cieling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - My wife decided to fix several cracks in our lathe and plaster hallway ceiling however instead of just filling in the hairline cracks and leaving a smooth finish she banged a ton of it on and now we have a major problem on our hands. (Picture Attached)

How on earth can I remove the excess filler without bringing down the whole cieling?

She tried sandpaper but the filler is very thick and hard, I have a Bosch Electric Sander but I think any excess vibration may fracture the plaster in the lathes???

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
She won't do that again, will she.

Have you tried a scraper?
Try dampening a small area with a sponge and leave a while, then see if it will scrape off.

I don`t think that will work :cry: because the filler will resist the water better that the old plaster. I would say only way is to cut it out carefully with a knife

Sponsored Links
HI,

I had the same problem.

I used a wallpaper stripper. The filler should just scrape off easily. Take the steaming plastic end off the pipe, and just use the pipe - carefully and slowly. Steam a bit, and gradually scrape it away.

You are likely, as another poster has said to cause more damage doing this, but at least you'll be in a position to re-skim/re-fill the area once you're done.

Cheers,

Charles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back