Removed cemented tiles in bathroom- help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just removed the tiles in my bathroom- they were the original 1930s tiles and cemented on. I also have the same in my kitchen which I plan to remove later this weekend.

My problem is I am now looking at bare brick on the bottom half of the wall. Do I need to take the rest of the wall back to brick before getting it plastered or can I just get the bottom half fixed?

I'm not really sure how to proceed with this and I'm on a limited budget. I plan to get someone to do the plastering but while I have a breaker on hire this weekend, I'm wondering if i need to use it to finish the bathroom walls or if I can move on to the kitchen?

I'd really appreciate any advice :)

Sponsored Links
plaster the bottom half with a backing plaster, making it flush with the top, then skim the lot.

As Noseall says and make sure you apply some pva to the bare brick for a good grip.
You could always tile over the tiles in the kitchen if they are sound, may save some time and money.
Pete

The tiles already protude out a lot from the wall because there's at least 4mm of cement underneath, on top of the plaster. I'm having an extension built on to the kitchen so I think I need to take it all off so all the walls can be plastered. I'm trying to do as much work as I can to save money.

Thanks for the responses but I really need things in lay man's terms :)
What exactly is backing plaster and PVA? PVA = glue? When I go to B and Q (Sorry! I've noticed everyone seem's a bit down on these chainstores :oops: ) what should I be looking for?

Also, am I mad to be attempting this? I can do stuff like put together flat pack and I've just laid my first laminate floor :D but I'm not sure about plastering. I might leave the skimming too a pro.

Sponsored Links
If you take off the tiles you can easily spot and dab with plaster adhesive a plasterboard onto the wall to give a clean flat surface to tile/skim saves having to bond the wall out and you can gain extra insulation using laminate backed boards.

Pva as you say is the white water based adhesive makes the surface good to apply bonding plaster etc.

Backing plaster is such as bonding plaster a heavier type of plaster for padding out b4 you skim final surface.

I would not attempt plastering as a first time project leave it to the tradesperson and watch and ask to pick up tips for the next time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back