removing a supporting wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi looking at removing an internal wall to make the kitchen bigger the wall supports the bathroom wall upstairs.

The wall down stairs has a door way and measures 3m long the wall above it measures 2m both breeze block, standard height ceiling.

few things want to know

What size RSJ would I need depth and width to support the wall above?.

Im assuming it will need to have a minimum of 9 inch over hang each side so I was going to build concrete pillars either side with plates on top to support the RSJ,

How does the pillar have to be tied into the existing walls?

Any other info or tips would be appreciated.

Also assuming because its a supporting wall building control will have to be informed but am I right in saying I dont need planning permmision.

Sponsored Links
There is much more info' needed to decide upon:

Steel size/section/weight.

Whether or not nibs or pillars are required.

Padstone sizes.

Propping.

All of the above can be determined once a structural engineer has visited your house. You will inevitably need calc's from an S.E. in any case as building control will need to have a look because it is controlled work.

No need for P.P.

You have not mentioned for instance as to whether the floor joists sit on this wall...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back