Removing an old CH and HW system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
I am looking to remove an old CH and HW system in my house (but want to leave the rads and pipework)

Coming out of the boiler there is 2 28mm pipes that disapear under in the void between floor and ceiling.

1) Can anyone tell me what these pipes are?
2) Are these the flow and return to the rads or do they feed water to the HW system?
3) There is a SH pump and 2 motorised valves near the cylinder, can i cut and cap these?
4) What do I need to do to remove the old cylinder?

AS much info as you can provide would be very helpful?

Thanks

V

Sponsored Links
allenvb said:
Dear all,
I am looking to remove an old CH and HW system in my house (but want to leave the rads and pipework)

Coming out of the boiler there is 2 28mm pipes that disapear under in the void between floor and ceiling.

1) Can anyone tell me what these pipes are?
If only two pipes connect to the boiler, then one is the flow and the other the return. If they are both 28mm, then it's possible that the system used to be gravity and is now fully pumped.

allenvb said:
2) Are these the flow and return to the rads or do they feed water to the HW system?
Depending on what you mean by "feed water", they might do neither. There is some information in the reference topics that you might find useful, regarding indirect systems.

allenvb said:
3) There is a SH pump and 2 motorised valves near the cylinder, can i cut and cap these?
I don't think I understand the question. You can cut any of the pipes once the system is isolate and/or drained.

allenvb said:
4) What do I need to do to remove the old cylinder?
Isolate all pipework that lead to it, then drain it, and drain the primary circuit, then cut the pipework (or undo all the unions) and remove it. if it's heavily scaled then you might have to cut the top open and hack out some of the scale before you can lift it.

Any more advice would have to be based on more information. For example, what it your overriding objective with this whole exercise?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back