Removing arrestor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Altecnic PV016RS shock arrestor installed just after my stop cock. Paradoxically, i think it's causing banging in my pipes - i think these are meant to be installed close to a tap or appliance? Its far away from anything!

Anyway I want to simply remove it and see if it improves things. Can i just shutoff the water and unscrew it, and replace with a threaded cap (with a strip of ptfe tape)? Any idea what size and gender cap i need? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would first of all
Turn off water and open tap to release pressure.
Attach compressor/foot pump/bike pump to shock arrestor and pump up to 3.5 bar.
Turn water back on and see if problem has gone away.
Check that your stop tap is open all the way and back 1/2 turn

That’s for your advice, but I have tried all that! Not helped really. Just want to try removing it.

Then plan A is certainly possible.
If you have a combi boiler many manufacturers insist on a mini ev being fitted.

It is often a failing ball valve that causes noise problems or a dripping 1/4 turn tap.

You could try pump up ev to 1 bar then turn mains back on & see what pressure the ev is now.
This is your incoming pressure.
Now turn water off and release pressure and pump up ev to 10% less than incoming pressure.
See what happens then.

Sponsored Links
Ok, I may try this. I’m assuming completely depressurising it would be the same as if an arrestor weren’t there at all?

However, if I were to remove my guess would be to use a 1/2” male cap like this:

The data sheet doesn’t mention thread size, so it’s a complete guess!

I believe that no. is a 15mm compression so this would be your man

1711364093157.png

It could be that someone has removed the nut & olive & screwed the 1/2" thread directly into a female fitting in which case you can put ptfe around the male thread of that stop end and screw this in its place

As you say with water still on releasing pressure from ev will give you effectively no ev as would pumping it up to 12 bar.

Thanks for all that, I reckon I will just try fiddling with the pressure first and see how I go! This is perhaps the safest option…:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back