Removing decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are wondering how easy is would be to remove decking put down by the previous occupants as we are wanting to keep chickens in that space and dirt or grass would be more appropriate for them to live on.

The area covered by deck is approximately 8ft by5ft and ideally I would like to remove half this area and leave the rest.

Can anyone advise the best way to remove the deck or how difficult it would be?
Don't want to create a massive job for myself.

Sponsored Links
Really dont get what u r asking - lift the boards (unscrew them or pry them up) and do the same with the joists underneath. Why is that so hard?

is it properly installed or cheap laid on the ground stuff
pictures would help:cool:

Gosh, let it be the biggest problem you have in your life :LOL: Just put an offer on freecycle, people who want it would come and remove it themselves. There was a similar message in my area last summer, the guy then posted a message that the decking had been taken and apologized for not being able to reply to everybody who were interested

Sponsored Links
Really dont get what u r asking - lift the boards (unscrew them or pry them up) and do the same with the joists underneath. Why is that so hard?

I don't know how hard it would be, or how big a job I'm creating for myself, that's why I'm asking....

is it properly installed or cheap laid on the ground stuff
pictures would help:cool:

I'll try an get a pic, pouring down at the minute.

I imagine it's a cheap job like most other things we realise they've done, after we bought the house. How easy is it to tell?

Thanks

Just put an offer on freecycle, people who want it would come and remove it themselves

I would have never thought of that, don't use free cycle or any of these types, I'll take a look thanks.

Gosh, let it be the biggest problem you have in your life :LOL: Just put an offer on freecycle, people who want it would come and remove it themselves. There was a similar message in my area last summer, the guy then posted a message that the decking had been taken and apologized for not being able to reply to everybody who were interested

This, I used to have a garden (approx 16m2) covered in pea shingle. I want to turf the area and thought how on earth am I going to remove all the stone on my own and what am I going to do with it? Ad on freecycle, next day women shows up with her two sons, they not only take the lot but also dig it all up and bag it themselves.

Looks like its just laid on joists in the ground or fixed to short posts. you will probably be able to pull it up in no time.

if your cutting back to front locate the joist cut 2" the waste side with a circular saw the board thickness plus 5mm

use a baton screwed at least 3 points

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back