Removing downlights without damaging plaster

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4 of the downlights in the ceiling have failed and I was hoping to remove and replace the transformers.

When I take the lights of of the ceiling the spring clips take huge chunks of plaster out with them, which has damaged the plaster around the surround of the light.

Is there any easy way to cover the damage?

Sponsored Links
When removing downlights it's a good idea when the spring become accessible to squeeze them in to prevent damage, sometimes unfortunately depend on spring/fitting design this is difficult.
Remedial work is possible, using various techniques.
There are convertor plates that cover oversized holes, but I think in this instance that they maybe not be what is required.

Many transformers are narrow enough to go through the downlight hole without removing the whole fitting.

Not possible with fire-rated and completely enclosed fittings however.

Many transformers are narrow enough to go through the downlight hole without removing the whole fitting.

Not possible with fire-rated and completely enclosed fittings however.

These fittings are fire rated :(

The springs cause the damage as soon as they move, the holes are so tight you cant get anything on them until the coil has come through (which is the bit doing the damage).

Sponsored Links
Proberly too late now but you can buy plastic rings that fit over the plaster edge before fitting the downlights
The spring pressure is then on the plastic rather than the edge thus preventing the damage you have experienced

The only thing is it looks as though you have to have had it fitted first.

I made a primitive mask with a scrap of plywood, pulled the light until I could slip it behind, making sure the springs were aligned with the narrowest part of the slot. I pressed up while I pulled the unit out. It protected the plasterboard rather well until I could grasp the springs and compress them. It also meant the plasterboard wasn't put under bending strain.

This is the second CLICK downlighter I've had whose inner ring has become irremovably jammed. I think the fact it's in a laundry area means the aluminium ring sort of "rusts" into place.

downlighter.jpg

The only thing is it looks as though you have to have had it fitted first.

Not sure about that. There is a slot in the protector ring that indicates you might be able to squeeze it over the body of the light when it's partway out and slide it into the hole before subjecting it to the pressure of getting the springs out. Wish I'd seen it before I made my mask (above). I could have made one myself out of flexible plastic. In fact, a yoghurt carton approriately cut seems to fit nicely!

Thank you so much for your advice on how to remove a downlighter by pushing in the spring. It helped me to remove one.

Hah, that is something I was not aware of

A solution in search of a problem?

As a decorator, I often need to drop lights to paint ceilings. I do occasionally find that the spring knuckles will damage the plaster skim. In most/many cases I can see they they had previously damaged the plaster when they were first pushed up- leading me to conclude that the electrician used a hole saw that was a tad too small.

When the correct sized hole has been cut, I have no problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back