Removing emulsion from sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am decorating my main bedroom which has an old Victorian fireplace. The surround is made from sandstone and has several layers of pain and varnish that I wish to remove to restore the stone surround.

I have used a paint stripper to get the top layer of paint and varnish off. However, the first coat over the sandstone appears to be an emulsion and it doesn't want to come off with my paint stripper.

Does anyone know if and how to remove the remaining paint quickly and easily?

Cheers
Nathan

Sponsored Links
Problem prob is that the first coat of "emulsion" has sunk into the sandstone.

You culd try a stone and brick cleaner such as 'dis-clean'

Failing that...scrub with very hot water.

I'm in a slightly similar position with sandstone sills on the outside of the house - they've been painted with something (gloss, masonry paint - I've no idea).

I have considered maybe sandblasting them to remove the paint.

Sponsored Links
Well, in the end I used a paint stripper which removed the top layer(s) or paint and a layer of varnish. Then I removed the bottom coat of paint (which I assumed was emulsion that couldn't be removed easily with the paint stripper) by using some drain cleaner (e.g. a caustic solution). Working in small sections, I applied with a cloth and scrubbed with a nail brush, and removed with water. I did this several times, and have managed to get all the paint off - took me about a day. All that remains is a slight haze of white from the emulsion - but i expect I can get this off by a couple of further washes with crystal clean water and a bit more scrubbing.

It'll look nice with the Victorian fireplace once I've stripped off the black paint back to the metal underneath!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back