Removing essence oils before painting

STI

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have had one of those essence oil burners, the ones where you put a candle under a recepticle with nice smelling oils in. Unfortunately we discovered the oil spits and has now stained the painted walls. I have tried painting over the oil marks but they just reappear. I have tried washing the stains off with neat washing up liquid, hot water, kitchen cleaner etc but the damn things just keep coming back. Is there any way to remove these marks so they can be painted over without re-appearing

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi STI - have you tried sugar soap. Me and the missus did a plastering course years ago and the bloke that taught us recommended washing painted surfaces with sugar soap prior to any kind of other finish - including skim - in kitchens as the oils/fumes ect that are given off during cooking repel most water-based products. Could work the same on burner oils??!!??!!

other than that - as you have already painted over the stain you may have to use a stain block paint prior to using your chosen finish. You can buy stain block paints from most DIY outlets.

Sponsored Links
Hi, Thanks for the replies, yes i did try sugar soap but no joy. I will look out for the stain block paint as i haven't tried that yet.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back