Removing floor tiles, Help for a beginner!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wondering whether to remove ceramic floor tiles in a downstairs bathroom. I intend to re-tile. My problem is that one of my boys has a wee problem and has been persistently missing the toilet (it has resolved now) but the wee must have got under the tiles and when the weather is warm, you can smell it in the house. I have tried putting bleach down and letting this soak in. I am now replacing the suite and went behind the loo and eased up a loose tile it came off but left adhesive on the floor.
The rest of the tiles are not loose, what is the chance of all the adhesive/cement being left on the floor and will this be easy to remove?
If I tile over will the smell resolve eventually because he no longer does this?

Sponsored Links
When did he stop missing the pan?
It may be its still drying out. You could try using a fan blower to help dry it out, you wont need heat, just air circulation

Do you know what the tiles are laid on, ie wood/concrete ?

He stopped about 9 months ago also could smell come from soil pipe connection if it has got in there and in the grouting. I keep changing the seat and have checked the pan all over. The smell is not evident until I open the window and it is a warm day. The tiles are laid on concrete and have been down since the 70's I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back