Removing (I think?) levelling compound from quarry tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our hallway we're removing some horrible 1970s thin (2mm or so) wooden fake parquet. this appears to have been laid on a thin layer of adhesive. Fine so far, but it would appear that the original floor was a really nice set of quarry tiles. We can see this as, in places, they are showing through the adhesive.

Now I reckon that someone has put down self-levelling compound before putting the adhesive down for the fake parquet. It's like a thin 1 to 2mm layer of grey rock hard plaster/cement underneath the old yellow/brown adhesive and it's thicker in some places than others over the underlying tiles. Also it doesn't come off easily. We're trying a chisel to chip it off but in place it's really bonded well and isn't showing signs of shifting at all well. I'm concerned that we might end up getting the adhesive/compound off and end up with chip/scrape marks all over the tiles!

Is there a magical way of removing this levelling compound that I'm yet to discover or is it just a case of chip, chip, chip...?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back