Removing Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our loft we have some really old loft insulation made of what looks like shredded old newspaper and fibres(??) Does anyone know what this stuff is and whether it is safe to remove and whether it is a fire hazard?

Anyway the long story is, is that we would like to remove it and replace it with Thermafleece (sheep's wool insulation).

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Or should we just put Thermafleece on top of the existing "insulation"?

Sponsored Links
lofts are very dirty places "dust".

taking up old insulation is not a pleasant task and u would need for me a p3 mask.

i'd leave the existing in place and just put new on top.

i don't know of thermafleece but don't see a problem if the insulation is a good as the normal glass fibre stuff - check & compare the w values for heat loss.

the only thing to remember is to keep a good airflow over the insulation to the eaves ie don't push the insulation too close to the roof at the eaves.

the additional insulation should ideally be run at right angles to the existing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back