Removing Night Storage Heaters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning to anyone who sees this , i have a plumber coming on Monday to finally fit some central heating . The problem i have is that i have night storage heaters and i need to ensure that they are disconnected and at least 1 needs fully removed before then.

Im not an electrician and im thinking that if i can identify which fuse they all belong to then i can just remove the fuse and this will mean i can safely remove them without doing myself some damage.

Is this the quickest and safest way to sort this out ?

Second problem is how can i identify which fuse they belong to ?

These are big old storage heaters with no lights or any visible means of identifying if they are on or off.

eventually i will get all the cabling removed but as we have needed the heat this has had to be last minute.

any help really appreciated

thanks

Sponsored Links
in most cases storage heaters will be on individual 15A/16A radials fed from a seperate consumer unit fed from the recs timer or teleswitch

it would be nice to see a photo of your meter area.

as for removing the wiring so long as it is in good condition i don't see any point. Though if you plan to use the outlet points for anything else you will need to move the cuircuits (or possiblly the whole second CU) off the switched supply

might be an idea to get yourself a neon screwdriver as extra protection (if you put your finger on the back and the other end on anything live it lights up: serves as a warning that what you thought was dead isn't)

Some old storage heaters, especially the big free standing one are known to contain ASBESTOS, I used to work for the local electricity board and old heaters were double bagged and carried out intact and sent to a licensed land fill.

Sponsored Links
all sorted , 16 massive blocks in each heater - as everyone has told me not a pleasant job

cheers

mango

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back