Removing old conservatory, what to do about guttering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have recently moved into a new house and it has an old 80s lean to conservatory that is basically falling apart anyway. I want to remove it this weekend and I think that should be fairly straightforward but my main concern is the guttering that will remain. Please see the picture of the conservatory and what it is attached to below:

As you can see there is already a small extension with a pitched roof the the conservatory is connected to. The pitched roof has a gutter at its edge that catches water which then runs through an angled downpipe over the top over the conservatory roof, into another gutter at the edge of the conservatory, which then itself drains into a downpipe going to the ground. This is what the end of the final downpipe looks like:

It exits onto the concrete before the grass and just before a drain cover (that is currently blocked, so the water ends up on the grass and creating a small puddle at the moment).

My main concern is that once I have taken the conservatory down, what to do with the drainage of the water from the remaining pitched roof. My idea was to effectively just remove the angled downpipe that goes over the conservatory roof and have a direct downpipe coming off the gutter under the roof which reuses the angled end piece at the bottom to drain water onto the area underneath the conservatory. However I\m not sure what is under there, i assume a raised concrete base, and I don't know is that's a good idea or not. This is only temporary as eventually we will be making that extension full width and redoing the patio area at the same time, however it could be a year before this is started.

Can anyone suggest what the best way to deal with the guttering and rain water drainage would be once the conservatory is removed?

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
After removing the conservatory, Drop the down pipe down to a tilted flag that will guide the discharge away from the wall. As a temporary arrangement, allow the water to settle in the soil.

When you have plans for the new extn incorporate the gutter outlet or abandon it.

I notice a gulley grating at the right hand front of the conservatory.

Are you saying just to lean up a flag against the wall and direct the downpipe onto it? You say allow the water to settle into the soil but the downpipe exit will be quite far away from where the soil begins once the conservatory is removed.

When you say gulley grating, are you referring to the little square show in picture 2? If so what can I do with that?

The gutter outlet and downpipe are on the brick extension, everything beyond will be removed.

Do nothing about the gulley - unless its a sump, it indicates a drainage possibility for the new extension.

Sponsored Links
I guess what i mean is that I will have to put a new downpipe on the brick wall once the conservatory is gone. So do you mean that at the bottom of this new downpipe, I should lean up a flagstone at the bottom of the wall at an angle and let the water drain onto it and away from the building or do you mean something else?

Ok, and that doesn't contravene any regulations or is not going to cause any problems with subsidence or anything like that? I see you're in the US so just want to make sure doing this meets anything necessary over here. I'm not clued up on regs so I might be asking a stupid question.

Thanks for your help

This suggestion is for a temporary arrangement "a year" before you do the new extn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back