removing old dual immersion

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
This is one with the push-across [-shaped chrome handle that switches from sink to bath (it's a Hotpoint Twimersion)

It has a thumbwheel which appears to adjust the temperature setting, more or less in the middle when you take the cap off.

Unlike modern ones I've seen, the cap doesn't come off in one piece like a can, it has a round lid on top that comes off

The sink/bath switch comes out of a plastic bulge out of the side of the round immersion head, which will get in the way of a box spanner. I can't see how to get it off. I am reluctant to damage it until I'm sure i can get it out, as it still works

Any tips?

p.s. I saw the tip of unscrewing an old immersion by tapping the spanner round with a hammer, to give it tiny arcs of rotation with each impact. Is this generally considered a good idea? there is no sign of corrosion or leakage where the brass hex meets the copper upstand, though I think the cylinder is about 30 years old :eek: the cylinder is marked "IMI Hercules silver-alloy brazed pure copper""

Sponsored Links
Loosen it while its still full and pressurised as its stronger like a balloon.

I would not advise hitting a spanner until its failed to come out with the cylinder hot and a box spanner with a long tommy bar.

Tony

Changed one of these last week. If i remember correctly i did cut all the wiring off before getting the box spanner on :cry:

Im yet to be defeated by a immersion even with just basic leverage and heat but not so sure on a 30 yr old cylinder!

should the new one have PTFE tape on the thread? or what?

Sponsored Links
Silicone grease on the washer and the thread! Thats all.

The thread is not the seal its the washer!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back