Removing paint of brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am modernising what used to be an outside toilet in our 75 year old house, it is now enclosed in a utility room.. I have installed a new WC and am now tackling the walls.

We have applied at least one coat of emulsion paint in the time we've lived here, possibly two. The paint was flaking at high level. As we want the walls plastering I started to scrape off the flaking paint which covered what I assume to be distemper. All this has scaped off reasonably easily. However, at a lower level it appears to have been painted with a paint I assume to be 75 years old. The emulsion on top of this base paint is proving almost impossible to shift by hand.

Can modern day materials allow plastering on top of this or does it have to come off. If it needs to come off what is the easiest DIY method of getting it off.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike

Sponsored Links
think what you need is either a brick hammer or an escutcheon hammer h and lots of hours free to chip the walls all up.

some grade 40 sand paper and just rub it out, make sure you wear a mask to protect you from all the pain

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back