Removing possible lead paint from plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have stripped wallpaper in the kitchen to reveal patches of yellow paint (the patches that haven't been ripped off with the paper). The remaining paint is hard to remove with a scraper. It is slightly shiny and i assume could be lead based as the house is 50's.

Has anyone got any advice on how to find out if it is lead and also the best way to get rid of it as i would rather paint straight onto the plaster than line it with paper.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Bev

Sponsored Links
Yes Bev..go to your local trade paint supplier and ask for a lead paint kit...its about a tenner.

Dulux certainly stock them.

Dont worry if it is lead paint it wont cause harm as long as you dont sand it down dry or try to eat it!

If it needa rubbing down then use wet an dry...dont allow the residue to form into a dust, soak it up straight away

If it isnt in bad condition then just wash the wall down and repaint it..that will encapsulate the lead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back