Removing/replacing a car door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Newbie new member here :)

Stumbled apon this forum whilst looking for information about removing and replacing a car door.

Im 17 and my first car will be a 1998 Fiat SEICENTO Sporting
Ive found a nice cheap example that runs well but has a large dent in the passenger door which id like to get rid.

I was just wondering how easy it is to remove and replace a car door?

Is it just a case of removing the nuts/screws/bolts, disconnecting the electronic cables... removing the old door and placing the new one on?
Is it a job that a relatively hands on 17 year old could do?

If i was to buy a door from a breakers what typically would be included?
Glass, door panel, trims, lock etc...??

I understand that if i don't take the lock barrel?! out of the old door and fit it in the new one I'll have to use 2 different keys?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Regards
NW

Sponsored Links
Get yourself a Haynes manual, sounds like you'll be doing other stuff other than the door so would not be wasted, prob get one off ebay, it wouldn't be too difficult although you may need someone else to hold the door, I expect you'd be able to get a complete door but it may cost more, you'll need to swap the barrel or keep 2 keys on your keyring.

Thanks freddymercurystwin I'm pretty confident so i think i'll buy a manual, roll the sleeves up and get stuck in

Just one more thing - should of asked this first really....

Does the hairdryer and airduster trick work on large dents?
The dent is quite large but doesn't 'cut' in, its a smooth rounded dent about the size of human head.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Yeah, if you take all the trim off the inside of the door - you will probably need to do this anyway if replacing the soor so it matches - you might be able to just push the dent out yourself with your hands or your feet when lying on the front seat.

Get a haynes and get tinckering. Learning how to work on cars from a young age is very rewarding. No job is too hard, it just takes patience and a little logic most of the time.

Thanks for the help guys!

I'm looking forward to getting my hands dirty - I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again!

Regards
NW

Back