Removing silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I did a search to see if I could find this mentioned before, but couldn't find it, so here goes.

Does anyone know of anything that helps remove silicone sealant, other than cutting and scraping it away?

I need to re-seal the bottom of my shower cubicle where it sits on the tray. I did it about 2 years ago, but it has sprung another 2 small leaks. What I would really like to do is unscrew and remove the enclosure to clean it properly, but the guy who fitted it fixed the enclosure before tiling inside it (ie. the tiles butt up to the inside edges of the enclosure) meaning the fixings aren't accessible.

I scraped it out as best as I could before with a Stanley blade but it obviously didn't do the trick.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
the best thing to do is scrape away as much as the silicone as possible with your stanley blade (time consuming but needed and then go to a quality decorators merchants (brewers/dulux decorators centre) and buy some silicone remover (not expensive) and follow instructions. The tiler/plumber did do the work in the right order. Silicone is notoriosly a pain in the bum as if it is not applied perfectley it will leak again. good luck.

Thanks for the tip. I've never seen silicone remover before, that's what I was after!

Cheers

I never really has much luck with silicone remover :cry: unless it works better on some silicone sealant.

Sponsored Links
I once brought a brand of silicone remover called vanish, i put it down and it dissapeared

I have just had to remove old silicone from around my bath and tiles.
I found the best method was to us a window scraper (the type for removing paint with a stanley blade integrated). It removed the cr@p in no-time. I then finished off with a spot of turps on a rag.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back