Removing stains from school shirts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some help to remove stains from my son's school shirts.

The shirts are 65% polyester and 35% cotton.

I washed the shirts as part of a normal wash, but afterwards there is very prominent staining as shown in the attached pictures. These stains were not visible before washing, and no other clothes items that were included in the wash were affected.

I have no idea what the stains are; they appear to be some sort of liquid or grease.

So far I have tried:
(i) treating with Dr Beckmann Pre Wash Stain Devils and washing again;
(ii) using the stain away cycle on the washing machine (this is about a two and a half hour cycle at 40C);
(iii) washing on a 60C cycle;
(iv) washing on a 95C cycle;
(v) scrubbing with Vanish soap before machine washing;
(vi) scrubbing and soaking in washing up liquid before machine washing;
(vii) spraying the stains with De-solvit.

but after trying each of these, the stains still remain.

Does anybody have any advice for what I could try next??

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 83
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    36.4 KB · Views: 81
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
Hot wash will have fixed he stain, overnight soak in cold water with detergent might have done it but too late now, new shirt .

Hot wash will have fixed he stain, overnight soak in cold water with detergent might have done it but too late now, new shirt .

New shirts - plural - that's three of them ruined!!

Just out of interest, which detergent would you soak it with overnight?

As they are white shirts , soak them in a dilute solution of bleach , rinse then wash as normal .

Sponsored Links
I saw the thread title and thought Gary Glitter had joined the forum......

if the stains are grease or oil, they will tend to yellow and darken as they oxidise.

on white cotton shirts, grease from the skin may accumulate on collars, and only be seen after they have been left in a wardrobe - it starts out clear, and does not wash out with normal light washing, then yellows over time. It can be washed out with strong detergents and hot washes. Washing soda is effective. But as it oxidises, it hardens into varnish and resists washing. Bleach is ineffective. In your case, might it be grease from chips, bacon sandwiches or something? It looks like a drip or splash. Are the shirts thrown into a laundry bin with oily materials, kitchen or workshop overalls?

Or could they be mildew/black mould stains, where they have been left damp?

Food stains like curry or tomato will fade in sunlight.

In your case, might it be grease from chips, bacon sandwiches or something? It looks like a drip or splash. Are the shirts thrown into a laundry bin with oily materials, kitchen or workshop overalls?

I suspect that you may be right about the source of the staining. The shirts have not been in contact with any other oily materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back