Removing supporting wall beneath stairs

It's the other end of the landing that sits on the wall you want to remove, so you'd need to run an RSJ or beam across to the other side of the kitchen to replace the support. Although if you didn't mind the odd look, you might be able to run a shorter one from the stairs/kitchen wall, under the corner of the landing, and then to the outside wall. You could then box it all in to make it look neat, and have a few downlighters for the kitchen table.

Sponsored Links
So.... I'm right back to square one
Yeah nothing's changed. The stairs are supported off floor joists not that wall in the kitchen, and the problem remains holding up that wall upstairs.

Yeah nothing's changed. The stairs are supported off floor joists not that wall in the kitchen, and the problem remains holding up that wall upstairs.

The upstairs wall seems to sit on a timber lintel which spans from the trimmer to the outside wall. How does this relate to the wall below?

What's under the end trimmer?

What's under the trimmer that runs parallel to the stair opening?

Sponsored Links
I had a similar problem at my daughters house and like doggit says I used a steel set into both walls at the diagonal then boxed in with a down lighter, did't look out of place and gave the kitchen more of an open feel

What's under the end trimmer?

What's under the trimmer that runs parallel to the stair opening?

Nothing. The wall is bricked up to it but there's plasterboard on the underside of the trimmer and joist so I don't think it's supporting it

Post a few pictures of the cupboard and inside it, but I'll pretty much guarantee that the the landing is being supported on the wall that you want to remove. I'll be damned surprised if they've hung the landing off of the trimmers in the upper floor; there'd have been no need for the cupboard if they'd done that.

There's a sketch of what I've found, the lintel fixes into the trimmer just incase that bit isn't clear

Attachments

• IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3507.JPG
    IMG_3507.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 132

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back