renault laguna 1800 turbo - serious noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have a renault laguna 1800 turbo diesel 2004 model just driving home and the normal slight whistle i hear from the turbo started to get louder and turned into more of a whine then it stopped making a noise and i lost all power, i nursed the car home and as i pulled up outside my house the accelerator stuck fully open and engine would not switch off on the button it ran like this for about a minute then revs dropped off so i stopped the car, i have checked and it will restart but i shut it straight back off. any ideas i need help please ?

Sponsored Links
don't know much about deisles but have you checked the turbo pipe for cracks . more than likly an ecu fault. if it runs ok i would be temted to do a visual check on all mechanicals , fluids ect and keep an eye on it.

Rich

Sorry to tell you but your turbo has blown!

It is unbelievably common on the 1.9Dci - mine went about 5 months ago.
If you are a half competent mechanic the cheapest way to go is to get a replacement from Ebay (about £375) and have a crack yourself.

It isn't hard to do, just fiddly getting the last bolt from the turbo to the block as you'll be working blind. It's located underneath the intercooler and behind the pipe of the turbo itself.

Took me about an hour to get my old turbo off - should have sprayed the bolts with lube and left them overnight!

Without the struggle to take the bolts off and put the fiddly bugger back in, the whole job can be done in about 2-3 hours.

I took 7 hours - and now I know where I went wrong!

If you need any help or advice please feel free to give me a shout!

good luck!

Stu

Sponsored Links
hi flatfixer and thanks very much for that sound advice, i think i will have a go myself. i am an engineer by trade but i don't work on cars. so the tools are not a problem just the now how. i would really appreciate it if you could take a little time to type a step by step guide for me and in the mean time i`ll start the search for a turbo, really appreciate your time and advice. thanks rich.

Oh dear, another Garrat bites the dust!! Yep, your turbo has deffinatly self distructed, you will find that the turbo shaft that joins the impellers has snapped and the veins of the impellers have made contact with the outer case of the turbo, this then allows oil to be pumped into the air intake!!! this causes the engine run on at high RPM that you have experianced, and as its reved the nuts off its self there is a good chance of internal damage to the engine unfortunatly as they only stop when the run out of oil and seize up!

At this point I would say dont spend any £££ just yet, Renault extended the warranty on the 1.9 DCI engine to 90k miles due to this problem! if yours is with in this milage it might be worth a call to a Renault Dealer and see what they have to say.

Replacing a turbo is not that difficult, just awkward as its tucked around the back of the engine and there are a few awkward bolts.

Renault did extend the warranty - well pointed out Kingboy.

There is a ton of information about this on www.renaultforums.com

My car has still only done 63K but because it did not have a fully stamped service book they dismissed it out of hand, even though the car had been serviced by competent mechanics (it was a company car owned by my friend so I know it was well looked after and serviced on the dot each and every time!)

As Kingboy pointed out,the engine has been drawing the oil from the turbo and thd feeding itself on that, hence why it didn't respond to the stop button. This is due to the oil burning in the engine and the exhaust gases are recycled through the EGR valve. If this gets sooted up (and it does too 4king easily) the valve sticks open and the revs go higher, drawing more oil into the engine, causing more soot, causing more revs, drawing more oil............until the oil runs out.

The EGR valve can be cleaned easily (renaultforums have lots of detail so I won't reinvent the wheel)

When my turbo went the shaft did snap as Kingboy said, and it is 99.99% certain your's will have too. When you take the old turbo off you will see the vanes on the turbo spline will have broken off and been sucked into the engine. Sounds bad but don't worry too much. If the engine is still turning over with no problem (apart form the obvious lack of power) then you can be pretty confident that the small bits of vane have been either crushed into the piston head or blown right through.

Garretts and Renaults - bit like women with driving licenses - bad idea!! ;)

Renault did shorten the service interval for oil for these but never did much of a publicity campaign - what a surprise!

I'll try and put some guidance notes together for you mate. If you were a bit nearer I'd come and give you a hand, but I'm stuck in Warrington I'm afraid.

I'll post something on Thursday afternoon hopefully!

in dusty conditions like the desert/ hot countrys machines can be fitted with oil filters

however if you overfill the oil filter you get the same problem with the engine drawing in the oil faster and faster just like the turbo did

thanks for all this advice i really appreciate it, please keep it coming. another quick question is as i said early the engine will run but will it be safe to drive it to my parents garage which is approx 1 mile away from my house, or is this risking even more damage and will the engine run on again. or should i cut my losses and repair it out side my house. the other thing is that the car has done 68k miles but i did not get it serviced at 60k :oops: do you think Renault will honor their 90k warranty and is it worth speaking to them first ?

Is it worth speaking to them?? Course it is, you could save yourself the repair costs!!

Its not advisable at all to drive it 1 mile, best get it towed.

just spoke to renault they said that unless the original owner took out an extended waranty when the car was bought new. then the waranty is only for 60,000 miles is this true or am i speaking to the wrong person

just spoke to renault they said that unless the original owner took out an extended waranty when the car was bought new. then the waranty is only for 60,000 miles is this true or am i speaking to the wrong person

You must be speaking to the wrong person! Ask for the service manager.

Rich

If you need any help or advice please feel free to give me a shout!

just thought i would take up this offer... i have managed to get the bolts off, loosened the oil feed pipe, was just wondering how you get the oil return pipe off ?? is it a case of just getting under the car and doing it ?

Thanks in advance
Lee

Sponsored Links
Back