Renault Laguna II -- Stiff Gear Linkage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The gear change on my Laguna (1.8 Petrol 5 speed) started to get intermittently stiff about two months ago and has progressively got worse, now its stiff all the time. There are now worrying sounds from the gearbox while driving or changing so I think its the linkage which is seizing up.
As far as I can see its some kind of cable system fitted, can anybody advise how this should be lubricated?

Sponsored Links
I don't think they make any provision for lubrication, a replacement is probably the answer although if you disconnect one end you probably will be able to get some oil into it.

Peter

Sounds typical for Renault. I had hoped after my initial look I may have missed a cable oiler or similar!

Never seen a cable operated linkage before I would have thought this type of system would require maintenance/lubrication regular.

I don't think anybody provides oilers any more - to labour intensive and it might make it last to long :D My Peugeot also has gearchange cables which have worked very well until recently since the weather has got colder mine are tightening up so I may have to do the same.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sorry there is a Typo I should have said,

'There is NO worrying noises'

I have changed the oil since the problem started and the oil was clean so I have no reason to suspect the box and from the feel of the stick I suspect the cables are the culprit. Interestingly this morning when I got in it the stick was free to move initially when checking it was in neutral and tightened up as I returned it to the central position.

Finish work for a week tomorrow night so will devote some time to lubricating cables.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

If the gearbox was at fault I wouldn't have expected it to affect all gears I think its more likely to be the linkage/cables.

Peter

Just a quick update, its now almost 6 weeks since I dealt with the problem and I can report success! I hate finding threads about problems and never hearing how it was resolved.

After gaining access to the gearbox linkage / cable ends I removed the cables to test and found they were free and easy to move, since I was there however I took the oppurtunity and put oil down the cables.

Removal of the boot covering the linkage allowed full inspection of the linkage and its various moving components which had originally been lubricated with some for of grease. This grease I found had gone hard and was no longer acting as a lubricant, the moving surface were also now displaying corrosion leading to resistance. After some akward manouvers I managed to remove the old grease and clean up all surfaces which made a noticable improvement to the operation of the linkage. After liberally applying oil the gearchange was excellent, after a weeks use and continual improvement it now operates like new. After a weeks use I throughly greased the linkage and replaced the boot.

Now 6 weeks later its still like new.

Thanks for all the help earlier in the process.

Hi, just stumbled upoun this, I have a 2004 Lauguna 1.8 sounds exactly what has started to happen with mine.

The gear shift started going stiff when it was wet conditions and cold. Dry hot weather and it was fine. However it is now stiff all of the time.

I thought it was going to be a fault with the gearbox and have to replace it. However after reading this post and success story, I will be following your solution.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

People always jump in at the deep end. Now done 6000 miles since I did the fix and all o.k. gear shift slicker and smoother than it ever has been since I bought the car.

Just about to advertise car for sale though and the damn window actuator broke, another french design which relies on cables with no means of maintaining them!

Hi, I have spent much time on this today, I removed the centre console and found that the housing under the gear stick looks like if I remove the bolts it will fall out the bottom of the car, so i stoped there.

I found the cable end on the gear box and oiled the best I can.

Is there another point to oil which I have missed somewhere.

Info much appreciated.

I only did the gearbox end and it resolved the problem.

Disconnect the cables and let the oil run up the cable. Clean any corossion build up from the selector part on the top of the box and apply oil while somebody operates the gear stick. Cables should be re-attached obviously.

There are lots of threads which indicate the gearboxes do have issues so perhaps I was just luck. For the record with the cables disconnected I could move the selector around by finger.

Sponsored Links
Back