Render and plaster same day?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I need to tidy up the corner of the kitchen in preparation for a kitchen fitter who is due soon.

This corner used to be where the boiler was with a chimney stack above it. I am thinking I might be safer to put a scratch coat of Render with waterproofer on here first, to perhaps eliminate risk of salts coming through later. I was then thinking a Bonding float coat to bring it up to the level of the surrounding area and re-skim the whole wall.
Problem is I'm really short of time! I noticed Micilin posted in another post on the forum that it was possible to add an additive such that render can be skimmed the same day, after the render has done some setting/curing.
What additives allow this? And would this be possible in the scratch coat and then float with Bonding and skim same day?

Sponsored Links
Never heard of an additive which can be added to render which would let you hit it the same day!

Never heard of an additive which can be added to render which would let you hit it the same day!

Maybe Micilin can shed some light - from the 'damp problems' post -

With certain additives you can skim over sand and cement on the same day, without the crazing etc that this would normally mean skimming on green render. That is standard practice ( if the render is set enough) An area that size can be done in a morning and the charge is okay.

i didn't want to hijack the other thread.

Sponsored Links
I would only reccomend it if you know when the render is able to 'take it' which is hard to explain !

Sorry if that makes it as clear as mud .

We used to skim S&C that had 'Remtox' damproofing additive, and never had a problem with any crazing etc as with normal S&C

The first few jobs we had we could not figure out how the other guys were able to make money at it (min rate was £120 back in early 90s for anything under 10m2) until we were told we could skim some of them the same day -it went against all previous knowledge.

After that we could do more than one job a day complete, the skim was pulled in lovely, rather than wait 3 hours for the skim to set per next day

Thanks Micilin.

I found a link http://www.sovchem.co.uk/damp-proofing/damproofing-products/remtox-k4-25l-silicone-dpc-fluid.html
And am guessing this is the sort of stuff you had in mind? Seems quite pricy.

It may probably be safer for me erring on the side of caution and taking the hit to do over two days.
I would rather it is right - messing it up will take me longer ultimately. I can also count the walls I've rendered on one hand - so not an expert!

I think you will find that that fluid is damp-proof injection fluid newbee. I think that micilin is maybe talking about a chemical additive that Remtox (the company) used to make. I seem to remember that before Sovereign Chemicals came on the market there were quite afew companies selling damp-proofing fluids and wood-worm and dry/wet rot fluids and pastes and render additives. And I seem to remember that Remtox was one of those companies. This would of been back in the early 80's. I wouldn't be surprised if Sovereign didn't buy out a few of these companies and thats how they can use the Remtox name. But I have been known to talk a load of muslim before now.. ;)

roy c,
correct both times: the Sovereign is injection fluid not an admix - never to be added to a damp render. And Sovereign took over Remtox in 1997. I dont recall any Remtox render accelerator.

newbw,
i dont see any soot residue, so perhaps it was a lined flue for gas fumes only,
if so, then render isn't necessary.
Is that a "rubberised" loose cable on the RH wall?
Why not knock-off the remaining patch of original on the RH wall, for a clear shot?

Remtox is a Damp Proofing additive, a salt inhibitor, not an accelerator.

Personally, i know very little about additives and render - tho i've seen many damp jobs having to be redone because of wrong mix or applying the skim too soon. I'd advise, stick with the traditional, proven methods of float day one, skim day two or more.

the Sovereign is injection fluid not an admix - never to be added to a damp render

Oops! Thanks dann09 and Roy c for putting me straight

i dont see any soot residue, so perhaps it was a lined flue for gas fumes only,
if so, then render isn't necessary.
Is that a "rubberised" loose cable on the RH wall?
Why not knock-off the remaining patch of original on the RH wall.....

I'd advise, stick with the traditional, proven methods of float day one, skim day two or more.

It would simpler not messing with render too.
The cable is new electrics, I just took off the capping and unclipped it whilst I was getting some mortar around the socket boxes to make them secure.

I could take off the remaining patch, but was wondering if it was simpler to leave it on as a guide/screed?

Work to straight, undercut edges, working to patches gives more edges to match-up to.
However, maybe clean up the edges - straighten them out, and use it as a screed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back