rendering breeze block wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondered if anyone could give me advice on rendering a breeze block wall.
I have done scratch coat with waterproofer/plasticiser.
Then the top coat is applied and floated.
All is good until the wall dries........to my horror there are cracks and the render is blown!!!!!!!!!
Do i need to add lime to the mix, if so what lime do i need and in what ratio.

Sponsored Links
All is good until the wall dries........to my horror there are cracks and the render is blown!!!!!!!!!

The bottom coat has come away from teh block

I prefer a natural lime mix rather than plasticiser as I think it gives a softer more tollerant mix but with either, hose down & then hose down some more; it's just too dry.

Sponsored Links
I got some usefull advice from celcon regarding this.Dont know how to uploaod it on here but i have put it on handyman website under rendering celcon blocks. They state to wet the wall but dont overdo it.6:1 scratch coat.Allow to fully cure(3 days) top coat weeker and thinner than 1st coat.They dont recommend using waterproofer because overdosing can cause problems,but i will be putting some in my scratch coat.Render should not be stronger than the material,hence the weakmix

A 7:1 float coat?

The trouble is - in truth those blocks are not designed for any kind of plastering.

They state that a strong mix makes it too rigid.The more cement you use the more water you use which means more shrinkage when curing which means more cracks

did you wet down the surface before applying the scratch coat and what waterproofer did you use

sorry for late reply i did hose down wall before scratch coat.
I used wickes waterproofer and plasticiser.
Do i actually need a waterproofer??
what is the advantage, I have used waterproofer in both scratch and finish coat but i think this may be why the top coat is coming away from the scratch?????? (because of water resistancy??????)

yes i gave the blocks a good hose down before the scratch coat, when that dried i splashed water and PVA mix on before doing finish coat.
Should i have hosed down scratch coat instead of PVA and water?

Did you leave your scratch coat with a open course finish or did you leave it looking nice and smooth ?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back