Rendering Garden Block Wall - Urgent Help Needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our existing garden wall (between grass and patio) was originally 2 courses of brick. I have now had the wall built up to about 600mm high using what I guess are std building blocks. The wall has then been topped off with travertine slabs across the top.

I have a plasterer coming round on saturday (19th August) to render the wall (I am to supply materials)..he suggested ringing Builders merchants for advice on materials / amounts etc.

I would just like to know if anyone has any advice of what rendering mix
to use??

...do the blocks need any initial prep..like sealing with PVA or something?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
why not ask the builder whos coming to do the job what and how much is required???????

..well i did ask him...although he'd reskimmed a bedroom for us a couple of weeks ago and did a really good job and told me exactly what and how much of everything i needed..this time he said to ask travis perkins

...the only thing he did say was use plasterers sand

...i just want to make sure I / he is doing the right thing..

..so trying to find another plasterer aside, what would you recommend??

Sponsored Links
russ98rjl said:
..well i did ask him...although he'd reskimmed a bedroom for us a couple of weeks ago and did a really good job and told me exactly what and how much of everything i needed..this time he said to ask travis perkins

...the only thing he did say was use plasterers sand

...i just want to make sure I / he is doing the right thing..

..so trying to find another plasterer aside, what would you recommend??

plastering sand (some merchents call it fine grit sand) is the one to go for rather than builders sand and has little or no clay and the mix of sizes makes for a stronger result. 4:1 sand/cement would be fine - as to whether you pva it first? well, the arguments on here continue. I would, and none of mine has fallen off. just my 2p worth

Hi,

I always use 2 parts building sand, 2 parts plastering / washed sand and 1 part cement.

The first coat (scratch coat) should have retarder in it. This stops the mix from drying out too quickly and cracking.

The 2nd coat (top coat) should have waterproofer in it to reduce ingress of water.

The amount of times I have been called in to put other peoples work right....

Thats great! Thanks for your help!

...when the second coat is dry, does it need any sort of sealant before painting?..if so, what would you recommend?

..how long should the render be left before painting? any suggestions on what the best (type/brand) of paint to use??

Many thanks!

Hi,

You can use stabilising solution. Available from most builders merchants.

Paint wise, you can use either a smooth or textured masonry paint. I use Sandtex.

As for when to paint the render... It can be done after about a week after you apply the render. Three coats should see you good and provide a good durable seal and finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back