Renew Central Heatin System Pipes - Manifold & PEX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm considering the idea of replacing all the current copper pipes on our central heating system after the boiler.

I'd like to incorporate a manifold and paired runs of pex (or some other plastic pipe) to each radiator. Making the system simpler and reducing the amount of joins.

We live in a 1980's detached bungalow with suspended timber floors.

All pipes currently run under the house, along the joists, over a concrete foundation.

The boiler is located in our garage, below the property.

Firstly, are my pipes considered as "outside" and therefore require more insulation (and may require anything else the building regs may stipulate)?

Secondly, can anyone recommend an appropriate manifold? We have 9 radiators in total.

I like the idea of being able to upgrade the system in future (additional radiators, individual room thermostats, smart meter etc etc)

Regards,

Ben

Sponsored Links
Emmeti make a range of manifolds for this purpose, amongst others.

I'm not sure you will be improving the system if the copper is OK. If you get any vermin under the floor you will regret that plastic pipe.

NB: From an upgrading point of view you will still want to go back to the manifold so not sure where this gets you.

We use this system when we're running pipes to rads in a screed, but that is to avoid corrosion and joints being inaccessible. You don't have these issues and the pipe is already there.

Hi, thanks for the prompt response.

Although the house is not particularly old, it must have been build by a blind man with no spirit level, plumb line or common sense. I can only imagine building control in the 80's was VERY laid back. How on earth it passed is anyone's guess?!

Although the central heating system works, here is a list of some of its flaws:

- Boiler has been moved twice, resulting in patched up pipes

- additional radiators have been added, resulting in no less than 8 blanks and new T's

- minimal insulation used

- unnecessarily long runs of pipe (they've gone round the perimeter of the house, rather than direct to a radiator)

- ridiculously novel ways of holding the copper pipes in places (wooden battens, garden wire, metal brackets, concrete blocks)

- not one pipe going to a TRV or stop valve coming through the floorboard is straight

- hot, cold and central heating pipes all follow the same routing and are "mixed together"

- previous "upgrade" of ensuite has a multitude of plastic pipe and push-fit connectors butchered together in what can only be described as a plumbers version of a joke

Regards,

Ben

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back