renovating a peeling ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To all decorators, please can you help:

I am a plumber and have been asked to renovate a bathroom, the problem I face is that the paint on the ceiling is seriously peeling and just comes off in wads, the ceiling obviously wasn't sealed before painting and the incorect paint was used.

To do a decent job I think I will need to take all of the paint off (some is peeling, some is sound).

Any tips on getting all of the paint off without ruining the plaster (or any other ways rould the problem) would be greatly appreciated

Sean

Sponsored Links
looks fairly new, I'd say no more than 4-5 years old, its a small bathroom and the condensation from the shower has seriously dammaged the paint, the plaster below looks ok.

OK, so not distemper (hooray!), but it seriously needs an extractor fan wired to come on with the light switch, or your new paint will fall off and they will try to blame you. In your shoes I wouldn't accept responsibility for the decoration unless they had an automatic fan fitted before I started work.

I am not a decorator.

Sponsored Links
Try sticking some masking tape (not low tack) on the paint leaving it for a day or so then ripping it off...that might do it..or duck tape, but pricy but you might save a bit of time..and less mess.

thanks guys, extractor fan is a must I think. i'll try the masking tape trick, if it doesnt work I'll be back asking for more tips! thanks again. Sean

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back