REPAINTING INTERIOR WALLS:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I've got a kind of eggshell paint on my walls which has flaked off here and there but otherwise generally sound. I want to repaint the walls. Do I need to remove all old paint (not a job I fancy) or can I just fill in the patches with something like fine-surface filler (or will it still stand out like a sore thumb). Advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You certainly need to remove all the loose stuff first..then give the bare bits a coat of thin emulsion before you fill them

I wouldnt recommend ready mixed fine surface filler as its like concrete to rub down!

The problem you have is any change in the surface will show up..if you have a painted wall with an area of filler that has been rubbed down slap bang in the middle of it then it will stand out...more so if its on a wall 90 degrees to a window

When that happens you need to line the wall to give a uniform finish

Thanks for that. So a real pain in butt to do a proper job as paint would presumably have to be chipped off a bit at a time (no quick fix?) and it's not likely to fall away in sheets. Don't think ordinary wall emulsion forms a "shell" like this.

Sponsored Links
The trouble you have is that if you scrape all the existing coating off the wall youll still need to do quite a lot of making good to get it up to scratch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back