Repair plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm after some advice.

I have to strips of wall to repair where some shelving was removed in an old house.

The area is too small to fit some plasterboard into.

My thoughts are to clean up the area from any debris, pva the brickwork and apply multifinish in two coats to bring level wih remaining sound plaster.

Would this work ok?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
That would work, but no need for PVA unless you have some at hand.
Put a straight edge to the area and knock-off any ridging to bring to a flat surface.
Do you intend to paint or paper the area?

Ideally paint but the entire surface isn't the best as some old tiles which were removed left a less than perfect wall!

Would probably cover better with paper really.

Thanks for your help.

How big an area & how deep? Multi is not meant to be used for thicknesses over around 5mm, certainly not in one hit; if it’s down to brick you will need some sort of base coat in there first it’ll craze like hell. I would also advise you apply a couple of coats of PVA rather than not; if it’s high suction, the plaster won’t stick without a good dose of either water or PVA; plaster while still tacky, don’t let it dry out. Depending on the area, you might be better using Easy fill, blending finishing plaster is not that easy if your inexperienced.

Sponsored Links
The depth is probably not far off 5mm.

It's two strips like battens of wood. Probably 500mm x 100mm. Not a big area at all really.

Might just do a couple layers or filler then?

I'd go with Easyfill, it will be far better & easier for you to manage; you can also sand it, finishing plaster is not designed to be sanded.

With respect, you'll do fine with the multi- finish to pull the indents out.
However, it might pay you to skim the whole panel after sanding down the whole area. Use a skim finish powder, not the multi finish, for a larger area. If there is previous paint on the surface then PVA as Richard directed.

If this is a small area, then it would be a good practice area for spreading plaster. But only if you have a clean shot at the wall, and dont have to lean over units or fixtures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back