Repairing ceiling plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently removed a partition wall to extend our kitchen. However, there is now a gap in the plasterboard on the ceiling that runs the length of the old partition walls (one going parallel to the joists, the other going perpendicular).

The gap is about 4 inches wide running parallel to the joist and only about 1.5 inches wide running at right angles. Can I repair this with a small strip of plasterboard? I am concerned that a piece that thin wont have much strength between the joists.

I am going to have the ceiling re-plastered after the repair.

Photo attached. Thanks!

IMG_20150619_151459535.jpg

Sponsored Links
Simply answer is yes use plasterboard strips. You can add additional noggins, to add support. It would be wise to measure the thickness of the ceiling board prior to purchasing, as some are 9.5mm and some are 12.5mm. You need to allow for plaster finish. Unless you are going skim the lot. Then there maybe a case to overboard the lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back