Repairing 'hole' where CH flue exits roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a problem with the hole where our central heating flue exits the roof.

I'm unsure if the problem lies with the hole in roof, or the kit used to 'seal' the hole around the CH flue or the hole in the felt from what I can see.

Its particularly noticeable today as its windy and raining quite hard here in Pontypridd. I guess the problem exists when wind and rain combine in such a way as normally on wet days it doesn't leak!!

My question to the knowledgable roofers and the like is as follows - how would I go about repairing such a hole especially when we are dealing with something that has very restricted access!!

I've been in the loft this morning and managed to clear a path to the problem area, my next move is how to repair or at the very least botch this to stop the leak...

My plan was to use some heavy guage plastic sheet I have handy and gaffer or duck tape that around the breached felt area and then onto the CH flue pipe so it almost forms a sleeve - my worry though is this could sag and fill and thus cause a worse problem with the accumulated water!

So far the leak is contained on top of the boiler by several very thick and absorbant towels and me sitting here in the room concerned and pouncing to 'mop up' when it seems too bad! I'd say we are dealing with about a tea cup fill of water when its at its worst.

I think whats happening is water is running down the flue pipe. Don't you just love water and its inate abilities to discover the weak spot!!

'Luckily' we have a disused sofa bed sat under the boiler which seems to have borne the brunt of last nights/this mornings awful weather.

Sponsored Links
I think I may have found my own answer!!

While 'mopping up' the latest dribble, I happened to lean slightly against the flue - the dribble stopped!!

I then let the flue 'return' to its natural position and the leak starts again, put pressure on it and it stops!!

Flue is now 'propped' in non-leaky position by a small 3 inch piece of lath batton that I happened upon in the roof void!

This will hopefully see us through until its dry and I can get the chap who installed the boiler down to fix the problem 'roofside' so to speak!!

Well, the non-leaky position is still leaky just about 90% drier than it was!!

Its more like the odd drip now which is much more manageable.

Still would like some suggestions on how to patch the roofing felt up though. Obviously due to the location, blow torches are out, not only due to access but the surrounding wood/insulation mix being very high!

I guess some kind of 'cold' solution is needed - any ideas guys??

As I suggest in my initial post I'm thinking in terms of heavy duty plastic and gaffer tape or even felt and some kind of 'cold' apply flashing tape if such a thing exists??

its prob the flashing that was used to seal it when it went through the roof, you can get some bitumen flash band for a tempary repair but would reccomend that you get the proper sleeve for the flue

Sponsored Links
I can get the chap who installed the boiler down to fix the problem 'roofside' so to speak!!
was he CORGI registered.....because they have to know about all types of gas flue....and if he used the boiler manufacturers correct flue and roof flashing and installed it correctly , then you have a "comeback" on the manufacturers

Yep Nige he is a CORGI boy.

Funnily enough he came back about 2 years after it was fitted out of the blue to replace the flue.

Could this be part of an ongoing yet unpublicised problem with the flue??

The boiler is an Ariston Microgenus II 24MFFI - knocking on for 4-5 years old now I'd guess.

I had him over during November for a different 'fault' that turned out to be an air bubble in some pipes at the top of the boiler by the fan - fair go, he was in and out in 10 minutes and there was no charge AND IT WAS SUNDAY MORNING!!

I guess he's worth his weight in gold - I guess I'll give him a shout when the weather gets better and more ameniable to a chap being up a ladder on a roof!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back