Repairing/replacing/covering a lath and plaster ceiling

Reaction score
Country
Germany
We recently bought a house, currently unoccupied, and we just removed the wooden ceiling in one room to reveal a layer of insulation, and under that a damaged lath and plaster ceiling:

1.jpg

2.jpg

There are quite a few spots where the ceiling is damaged. I assume the damage occured before they put up the wooden ceiling because there were no signs of broken plaster when we took down the wood and insulation.

20230115_133308.jpg20230115_133253.jpg20230115_133246.jpg20230115_133242.jpg

I'm not sure what the potential options available to us are. Perhaps:

1. Remove battens, repair damaged areas
2. Remove battens and replaster the entire ceiling
3. Remove battens, cover with plasterboard/wood
4. Leave the battens and put up a new dropped ceiling using plasterboards/wood

We don't need the layer of insulation in this room if that helps with any advice.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not sure what the potential options available to us are. Perhaps:

1. Remove battens, repair damaged areas
2. Remove battens and replaster the entire ceiling
3. Remove battens, cover with plasterboard/wood
4. Leave the battens and put up a new dropped ceiling using plasterboards/wood

We don't need the layer of insulation in this room if that helps with any advice.

1. looks like a none-starter option. If you attempt to repair it will be unending, that's why it was covered up.

2 or 3, 4 are potential options, but depending upon how you want the finished ceiling to look once done.

I'm a 3
Plastic down taped to edges.
Tarps over.
Take the lot down Inc wooden laths.
Treat timber with primer preserver (optional)
Sort cables ect
Put in timber to support new centre light if required.
Maybe look at fitting cross timbers if needed to brace joists.
Look at level. Level ceiling if required.
Hire board lifter.
15mm plasterboard. Fitted tight to walls.

Omg it's a mess though

Sponsored Links
I'm a 3
Plastic down taped to edges.
Tarps over.
Take the lot down Inc wooden laths.
Treat timber with primer preserver (optional)
Sort cables ect
Put in timber to support new centre light if required.
Maybe look at fitting cross timbers if needed to brace joists.
Look at level. Level ceiling if required.
Hire board lifter.
15mm plasterboard. Fitted tight to walls.

Omg it's a mess though
Should have mentioned it's currently unoccupied, so if any time to make a mess, it's now.

In the long term this room will likely be a kitchen, so having a false ceiling for spot lights and potentially the exhaust from the cooker will run from the inside to the outside wall

Last edited:
The insulation might have been more for noise than heat, the original lath & plaster (being quite heavy) will also reduce noise transmission.
Dropping the old ceiling would allow you to check the joists for worm etc but that's about the only advantage- I'd go with your option 4, mebbe chuck a vcl in while you're at it

The insulation might have been more for noise than heat, the original lath & plaster (being quite heavy) will also reduce noise transmission.
Dropping the old ceiling would allow you to check the joists for worm etc but that's about the only advantage- I'd go with your option 4, mebbe chuck a vcl in while you're at it
There is a wood burning stove in the room so I think it was too keep the room extra cozy and warm.

There are signs of wood worm elsewhere in the property, however we are redoing the electrics and can check this by lifting the floor boards above

What is vcl?

Vapour control layer- keeps all the warm moist kitchen air in the kitchen (where the woodburner can deal with it) instead of it getting upstairs and turning into condensation somewhere. Polythene sheet usually.

Vapour control layer- keeps all the warm moist kitchen air in the kitchen (where the woodburner can deal with it) instead of it getting upstairs and turning into condensation somewhere. Polythene sheet usually.

Ok, I think this is also what @Wayners was suggesting.

Previously this was a sitting room with a wood burner, so there would not have been any moisture in the air. But as we are converting to a kitchen, this is a good tip, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back