Repairing stairs with visible right angle metal strips?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

i can't get to the back of my stairs without having to replaster under the stairs - which I want to avoid - so it occured to me i could screw right angled metal to both the riser and the tread - firming them up and hopefully eliminating the squeaks. the stairs are going to be sanded and varnished so the metal would need to be decent looking - does anyone know if such a product is available? Was thinking maybe pre-drilled right angle might be made in standard stair widths . . .

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
anyone? or even quater round dowel would do it I suppose, though haivng to countersink and plug all the screws is none to appealing . . .

try forceing glue into any gaps you can see

screws at an angle up under the nosings if the tread and risers are loose

if that dont cure it a temporary solution use talc in the cracks

but dont talc before varnishing as the varnish may bind some squeeky edges together

then when all that fails live with the noise or remove the plaster and do a propper job

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back