Replace 2 gang 2 way light switch

Dek

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been similar questions asked before but none seem to fit my problem.
I have a double light switch in the kitchen, both switches are 2 way.
Currently there are 2 blue, 2 yellow and 2 red wires going into 6 holes on the old switch. (There are also earth wires but i can work those out). There are 3 holes at the top of the switch and 3 at the bottom.

The new double light switch has 2 holes at the top (each marked "common") and four at the bottom, these are marked "1 way" and 2 way".

Can anyone tell me which wire goes where in the new switch?

Sponsored Links
Please tell us that you know which wire went where in the old switch! :!: :!: :!:

If you have this information, all you have to do is work out which terminals are equivalent in the two switches. Are the old switch terminals labelled in any way? Look for something marked COM - or maybe just C. If you can find two of these, the wires that go into them will go to the two COMs on the new switch. Also, on the old switch you will have two terminals opposite to each COM. The wires in these terminals go to the terminals opposite the COMs on the new switch.

In effect, the only difference between the old and new switches is that one of them has been turned upside down. You have two switches in there with three terminals each and, of those three terminals, the one all on its own at one end is COM. Does that make sense? :) :) :)

PS: You might find that one or other of your new switches works the wrong way. That is to say that you have to switch it in the opposite direction to what you're used to. :confused: :confused: :confused: To correct this, take the two wires in that switch that aren't in COM and swap them over. :cool: :cool: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back