Replacement Bell Box for Scantronic 9000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Scantronic 9000 system which is about 27 years old, only needed occasional backup battery changed and the 16ohm speaker in the bell box changed over 27 years.
Just had to reconnect the speaker as one of the wires had corroded through, sounder now works. The strobe however is not working, I suspect the bulb but it could be a panel fault.
Is it possible to replace the whole bell box with a AG3 Intellisense Bell box?
The AG3 has a siren in it as well as a strobe which I am led to believe uses high voltage to run the siren and strobe as opposed to the existing box that uses the 16 ohm speaker.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's just a 16 ohm speaker in a box? No circuit boards? I would expect at least a Mylar cone speaker with a separate SAB/driver board inside the bell box. Occasionally come across old bells with just a Lyntek horn sounder inside but have never seen one with just a speaker. Have you got a photo of the inside of the unit? It shouldn't be too difficult to swap it out for the AG3, but you may have to alter some wiring at the panel depending on how it's wired at the minute.

There is a circuit board in the bell box to which the alarm wiring is connected, the 16ohm speaker is at top right of box and its wiring comes from the circuit board. Unfortunately I cant get a picture as I had plastic soffits fitted years ago and the fitters slotted them in above the box so I cant get the box lid off at the top, just about managed to reconnect the broken speaker wire by hinging the lid up enough to get at the offending wire. Will have to break the box off the wall if I change it.

Current box is fed from panel
Panel connections are as picture taken from install manual.

AG3 Replacement box has
STB -
HOLD Off +
HOLD Off -
RTN -
TRG -

Hold off + to + ve
Hold off - to ov(-ve)
RTN to tamper return
TRG- to - Ringing
STB- to strobe no on strobe relay
Put wire link from strobe relay c to - aux volts

These are the connections to replace your bell box

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply most helpful.
Just one query you say put a link from strobe relay c to 12v- aux volts
On the Scantronic diagram that link is shown c to 12v+

It's a relay , so either will work ....BUT most common bellboxes are negative start , So joe is correct

Many thanks for the advice, test rigged the AG3 box to the panel and sounder and strobe work when in alarm also in bell test mode. Just got to get the old box off the wall now and mount the new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back